Friday, August 16, 2013

Off the Record: Kyary Pamyu Pamyu

Since I'm imperfect human, I often find myself listening to things that aren't the weekly record. So I thought I would give into temptation on Fridays and start posting other musical stylings that I have been enjoying when not giving my undivided attention to the assigned album. So welcome to: Off the Record.
This week, Kyary Pamyu Pamyu's (of PONPONPON fame) new LP, 'Nanda Collection', has been distracting me quite a bit; especially the single, Invader Invader. Yes, it's Japanese. Yes, it's insane. Yes, it has a girl singing in a high-pitched-cutie-voice. And yes, it is also a killer pop record. Inventive, fun, bright, shiny, and totally loony. It's a wonderful time. Un-ironically wonderful. Don't believe me? Check out the single below and I promise (or I at sincerely least hope) that by the time the chorus hits at 1:20, you will be totally on board. If you are still interested after that, check out Anthony Fantano of The Needle Drop's excellent review of the album here. Enjoy and see you Sunday!

2 comments:

  1. That one's going to be just for you, I fear. I tried at least and am proud of the fact that I got through the entire song, even enjoying small parts of it. I can see its appeal clearly, but it just isn't for me. I miss listening to the words and her voice would drive me nuts after a while. I don't subscribe to that mad full-on squelching and 11-year-old girl singing voice thing.

    I own only one Japanese CD single and it is a 3" disc and comes in this cool Kanji folded card cover and plastic tray thing. It's by Pocket Biscuits and is called Red Angel from 1997.

    My friend Lisa bought it for me in Tokyo when she lived there because I liked the name of the band. There's a very blurry video of it on You Tube which, even though almost unwatchable in parts and quite silly, has garnered 500,000+ hits.

    I admire your breadth of interest though and am looking forward to today's installment. I know nothing whatsoever about Kurt Vile so this should be quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew that appeal would be limited but I had to try :). I think that spending the majority of my formative years in South East Asia has something to do with my enjoyment of it. It reminds me of my past.

      Delete